"Words iniquitous that is strong, penetrate and escape. Can be angry that you show a suspicion of him, and at the same time, make you feel that to which you suspect is certain: it can be called insulting and offended, taunt and ask why, terrify and complain, be shameless and blameless. Do not ask further. He did not say the name of this innocent, or your, not has figured not even know you, did not say anything pretender, but ... but unfortunately I had to understand who is adamant. However, confidence in God! you, poor things, do not lose heart, and you, Renzo ... oh! believe me, I know I put 'your shoes, I feel what goes on in your heart. But, patience! It is a lean word, a bitter word, for those who do not believe, but you ...! you will not want to give God one day, two days, the time it will take for the triumph of justice? Time is his; n'ha and we promised so much! "
(Alessandro Manzoni, The Betrothed , ch. VII - about his father Christopher after the interview with Don Rodrigo)
0 comments:
Post a Comment