Friday, March 12, 2010

Mom Playing Daughters Friend

Pat Metheny's "Orchestrion" - Interview (2)


cohesion is a basic element of this work: how did you get?
"One of the most obvious and important is that there are many ideas in the field. And I mean that every idea is based on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 also musical ideas, especially in long pieces. Cohesion is a staple for me. And I must say that it is the cohesion that is lacking in the music you hear now turn. We live in half a sophisticated and layered sound. There are many young jazz musicians who have great skills and many good ideas, but ideas are disconnected from each other. Do not bind the ideas, in essence. For me, the narrative of the ideas put in close connection is a key feature of the will to communicate as a musician, that is through music. And it was also the platform Orchestrion "

The lack of connection between ideas is a sign of the times?
"Could be. We live in a world where the distraction is a constant. For this reason, the narrative construction, which creates the cohesion that I mentioned before, is so important. It is terrible to play and simultaneously have the feeling that nobody is really going in what you do. The melody for me it has a fundamental role in the music, but what chance we have to think in terms of melody? I mean, can we talk about harmony and rhythm for days, we can quantify harmony and rhythm but there is no language that allows us to think constructively about melody. The melodic aspects of harmony and rhythm are very important for me: the melody is the one narrative that gives cohesion to the music. Each idea must connect to the previous and the next. My musical heroes, such as Sonny Rollins, Gary Burton, Wes Montgomery, Igor Stravinsky and Johann Sebastian Bach were masters of melodic ideas to link. Can I include the list even as investigators Cecylia Taylor and Derek Bailey. All the authors I mentioned have created a narrative flow in music. Not just a list of ideas, but a network of related ideas that gives form to a style. What I want is just the flow, the connection ".


0 comments:

Post a Comment